Eshet Children and Youth Development Organization (ECYDO) (formerly known as Eshet children and Youth Unity Association Ethiopia (ECYUA/Ethiopia)) was established in 2001 as Youth NGO with strong initiative of those young women and men living in the area, where in which the organization is currently operating. The dire social, economic and health situation of children and young people living in the area were among the major reasons that provoked the founders to establish the organization.
1.1. Legal Status
- In 2009 Re-registered and operate the Federal Charities and Societies agency with Number 0095 according to the new Charities and Societies Proclamation 621/2009 as Ethiopian Resident’s Charity Organization
- In 2004 it signed project agreement with the Addis Ababa Health Bureau as well as Social and NGO Affairs Office.
- In 2002 signed operational agreement with the Disaster Prevention and Preparedness Commission / DPPC/.
- In 2001 registered by the federal ministry of justice as a non-profit, local, non-governmental organization,
- In 2000 registered by the Addis Ababa City Administration as youth’s association
- In 1995 registered by Addis Ababa City administration Culture and Information Bureau as a youth’s club.
ECYDO envisions seeing economically self-reliant, dignified, healthy and responsible Generation people in Ethiopia
ECYDO strives to decrease new HIV infections and STIs, promote Sexual and Reproductive Health education and youth friendly services; alleviate socio-economic problems of children and young people, and promote environment protection through awareness creation, trainings, economic empowerment opportunities, networking and partnership, and promoting and reinforcing community based responses
The goal of ECYDO is to improve the awareness level on HIV/AIDS and reproductive health, improve the social, economic and health situation of children and youth, and advance their participation in the development of arts, culture, science and environmental protection.
- To strengthen the organizational management and leadership capacity of ECYDO so that it is able to provide quality, standardized and sustainable information and services to children and young people.
- To prevent or alleviate poverty and its causes from vulnerable young people and children who are lost their parents;
- To participating in the advancement of the economic and social development of young people and assist them to participate on environmental protection or improvement;
- To prevent HIV/AIDS and Reproductive health hazards among children and the youth;
- To participate the in the advancement of the arts, Culture, Heritage or science;
1.6 Core Values
The core values of ECYDO are the following:
- Gender equity and equality: ECYDO strongly promotes gender equity and equality in its overall interventions.
- ECYDO believes in active participation of stakeholders in the overall program of the organization including designing, developing, implementing, monitoring and evaluation of projects/programs. Active participation of stakeholders also involves decision making in every aspect of the program that affects their life.
- Transparency and accountability: All programs and activities of ECYDO are performed in a very transparent way and ECYDO is accountable to each and every of its acts. Stakeholders and any interested member of the general public are entitled to question any of ECYDO’s performance and any other issues regarding the organization.
- Volunteerism is the core of ECYDO’s existence. Therefore, ECYDO recognizes the contribution of its volunteers and strongly encourages volunteerisms in its intervention areas.
- ECYDO do not discriminate anyone one because of its color, ethnic background, religion, political affiliations, sex, social status, sexual orientation and or any other forms of discrimination. However, ECYDO will not work with individuals and or organizations involved in any form of child abuse, and/ or are associated with organizations befitting from child labor, child trafficking, child abuse and other such acts.
- ECYDO expects its staff, volunteers, beneficiaries and other partners to work with honesty and transparency.
- Quality of services: ECYDO works aggressively to provide quality information and services for children and young people. Quality is our unique trade mark. Quality of service for ECYDO is provision child/ youth friendly, well researched, participatory, standardized and sustainable information and services to its beneficiaries.