ONLINE VOLUNTEERS HONOURED FOR ‘OUTSTANDING’ CONTRIBUTIONS TO PEACE AND DEVELOPMENT
13 November 2013
The United Nations Volunteers (UNV) programme today announced the ten winners of the “Online Volunteering Award 2013” and launched a global voting campaign for the public’s favourite winner.
Every year, UNV connects more than 11,000 online volunteers with development organizations across the globe through its Online Volunteering service (www.onlinevolunteering.org). Congratulating the winners, UNV Executive Coordinator Richard Dictus emphasized that “Online volunteering provides the opportunity for people to serve others from where they are, overcoming the constraints of distance, money, gender, age and physical challenges. It is truly the spirit of solidarity exemplified through people expressing their humanness."
In the lead up to International Volunteer Day (IVD) on 5 December, UNV invites citizens worldwide to be inspired by the winners’ stories and participate in the global voting for their favourite winner. The team that gets the most votes will be announced as the public’s favourite on IVD.
The winners’ stories have been published on the Online Volunteering service website (http://www.onlinevolunteering.org/en/org/stories/index.html), where anyone can vote for their favourite winners.
The jury of experts in volunteerism and development cooperation chose the winners based on their commitment and contributions, the results of their collaboration and their impact on the activities of the organizations they supported. Besides UNV representatives from Field Units and headquarters, the jury included:
• Mr. Youssef Ali Al-Kazim, Secretary General, Arab Federation for Voluntary Activities, and Secretary General of Qatar Centre for Voluntary Activity
• Mr. Marc Fillieux, Coordinator of Resourcing Unit, Talent Management Branch, International Labour Organization
• Mr. Luis Neves, Group Climate Change and Sustainability Officer, Group Change and Corporate Responsibility, Deutsche Telekom
• Ms. Irene Perurena, Director of International Organizations and Cooperation, City of Knowledge Foundation
• Ms. Susan Stroud, Founder and Executive Director, and Sarah Rutherford, Service Fellow, Innovations in Civic Participation
• Ms. Anne-Marie Bekaert, UN Online Volunteer
In July 2014, UNV will call for nominations for the Online Volunteering Award 2014.