We are the Regional Centre for the Welfare of Ageing Persons in Cameroon (RECEWAPEC) founded in 1990 and registered as a Common Initiative Group. RECEWAPEC (The Regional Center for the Welfare of Ageing Persons in Cameroon) with its mission being Engaging Society in Sustainable Elderly Welfare and Livelihood Promotion. registered in 1996 as a Common Initiative Group (C.I.G) 28 years ago since foundation.
In 2001, RECEWAPEC was upgraded into the laws of Association. In 2017 RECEWAPEC was upgraded to a full Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) with objectives set as follows:
- To mobilize community actors for dialogue and join action in favour of right advocacy and social protection of older persons.
- To establish specialized eye health centers offering holistic care and promotion of active ageing for older persons.
- To establish social solidarity platforms for the improvement of the standard of living and dignity of older persons.
- To establish a role model national organization in terms of best organizational practices in the promotion of care of older persons.
The organization’s motto being “Humanity for Sustainable Development For Disadvantage/abandoned old persons in Cameroon”. It has to be noted that RECEWAPEC is one of the organizations in Cameroon that sees effectively into the livelihood of the older persons.
It core values incorporate the following:
- Integrity, benevolence, accountability, innovation and cooperation. Integrity is demonstrated by the fact that, the organization cherishes truthfulness and transparency in her dealings with the community they serve. While benevolence exists by the fact that the organization was created to provide for the needs of disadvantage and vulnerable people in the community. The organization provides feedback on the resources received and spent. This demonstrates transparency.
- The Regional Center for the Welfare of Ageing Persons in Cameroon (RECEWAPEC) equally engaged in finding better ways of delivering her services to the communities. The organization encourages innovation to better articulate the changing needs of the needy hence provide better solutions.
- Lastly, The Regional Center for the Welfare of Ageing Persons in Cameroon (RECEWAPEC) encourages cooperation among stakeholders. The contribution of each and every individual is considered without bias.
During the outreach activities of RECEWAPEC in communities, RECEWAPEC discovered that older people face the following challenges:
a)Eye care – because most of the people from 45 years already develop eye problems
b)Poverty – most of the elderly people depend on others and can’t plan for their basic needs.
c)Lack of participation in decision making
With the challenges the organization faces coupled with the Anglophone crisis in the two English speaking regions our organization still bores the risk to reach out not only to the elderly persons but those involved in one way or the other to sustain lives mostly in the rural areas.